December Updates

December 1st, 2013

Thanks to my stepsister we were able to make a quick visit to see Evelynn today. She is no longer on her Billi light and they’ve moved her bed to another section of the NICU.

The IV that was in the top of her head is out now since she is no longer on her IV lipids.

They did put in a gavage tube for feeding, but the nurse said they only had to use the feeding tube once or twice yesterday. Today we arrived while she was feeding with a bottle, we tried to breastfeed, but she wasn’t interested.

She is also holding her own temperature pretty well so they are slowly lowering the temperature of her bed.

December 2nd, 2013

No visit or updates today. Called the NICU and she’s doing really well today. Will probably not visit again until Wednesday.

December 3rd, 2013

Daddy called the NICU today. Evelynn gained about an ounce and now weighs 4lbs 4 oz. She is only eating 10 ccs voluntarily so they are having to use the tube a bit, but the nurse said she just needs some practice eating. We are planning to visit tomorrow and take the kids to a craft event at the hospital while we’re there.

December 4th, 2013

We were able to visit Evelynn after Daddy got off work tonight. She is no longer in her heated incubator, which means she is now fully able to regulate her own temperature! It was great to just be able to reach out and touch her.

She still has the feeding tube in. I tried to breastfeed her but she just wasn’t interested so I was able to do some cuddle care (skin to skin) while Daddy held the gavage tube and fed her some pumped milk I had brought it.

And she’s gained another ounce! She now weighs 4lbs 5oz!

We also got her footprints during this visit and I’ll post pictures of those in the gallery later.

She looked just beautiful and it was so great to be able to hold her and have her nestled into me so closely!

December 5th, 2013

I was able to see Evelynn today after my doctor’s appointment. I got there right when the nurse was feeding her so she let me take her in the Parent Room and breastfeed her. I was glad that today she was hungry and interested in breastfeeding because last night she wasn’t and I was so disappointed.  She ate really well and then started to fall asleep, but I was also able to get her to eat half of what was left in the bottle as well.

The nurse said that if she keeps eating the way she is she should be able to go home soon!

I forgot to mention that last night they told us that she had some heart rate dips while eating, but they didn’t seem too concerned about it. I plan to call again tonight and ask about that as well.

December 6th, 2013

No visit today, but Evelynn gained another ounce is back up to her birth weight! 4lbs 7.3 oz.

December 7th, 2013

Evelynn gained 5 grams is up to 4lbs 7.4oz!

We were able to change her diaper and check her temperature today during our visit. She’s still holding her temp really well and I was able to breastfeed her.

We brought her a bunch of bottles and some clothes from home for her to wear!

December 8th, 2013

No visit today. She gained a little bit more and now weighs 4lbs 7.7oz.

The nurse said she’s eating really well. She took all of her last feeding in 10 minutes! I hope she keeps eating like this so she can come home soon.

December 9th, 2013

Got a couple calls from the NICU today, one about giving Evelynn Synagis and a second from a lactation consultant about her feeding. Seems the amount she is eating has increased and she wanted to make sure I’m pumping enough.

The nurse said they had to use her feeding tube today.. she’s not wanting to stay awake long enough to eat the amount they want her to. This is very frustrating for me because if she was home I wouldn’t be forcing her to eat when she didn’t want to, but I know that she needs to eat in order to gain weight so she can come home. I’m stuck in this terrible limbo about it and I hate it.

December 10th, 2013

We got a wonderful call this morning! Evelynn will be able to go home on FRIDAY!

December 12th, 2013

My mom got in touch with an old co-worker who works with SafeKids and she asked her about getting us a new car seat. We have one, but it’s been in an accident or two and is 7 years old. In fact, we got that from SafeKids too. She said she had a couple for $50, but we just don’t have that money to spare…she insisted we come get a seat anyways. She also put together some presents for our other kids. I’m so thankful that we have such wonderful people helping us!

December 13th, 2013

We got a call around noon, right before I was supposed to make sure Evelynn was set to come home. The nurse said they noticed some heart rate decels while she was bottle feeding. It seems she isn’t coordinating her breathing and eating and it’s causing her heart to stop. I was so upset because we were all set to bring her home today. They wanted me to come in to breastfeed her for a few feedings to see if it happened then. I cried when I got off the phone. I was so disappointed, so crushed, but I tried to keep a positive attitude while I waited till it was time to leave.


I spent 5 hours at the NICU today, but it paid off! We were able to bring Evelynn home and I am happiest mom in the world!

The lactation consultant was there to help me with breastfeeding her. Even though I breastfed 3 other kids, it’s so different with someone who is so small.  She was very sleepy through our first feeding and had one episode, but during our second feeding she was much more alert and vigorous about eating. After talking to the nurse about how to notice her decels and speaking with the Doctor about whether I was comfortable taking her home, they discharged her!! They gave me just about everything out of her bed and plenty of extra bottles and diapers.

When I got home I was exhausted and the first night was hard, but I’m so glad to have her home. 😀

December 17th, 2013

Today was Evelynn’s first doctor’s appointment. She is now 18 inches long and weighs 4lbs 12oz!  She grew an inch and gained 5 oz!

The Doctor asked some questions about her birth and what caused the csection, so I told her and she was floored. Before we left she said Evelynn was a miracle and that we had made her day.

Her next appointment is Christmas Eve for another weigh-in.

December 20th, 2013

Evelynn slept through the night last night! When I woke up a little before 7 my heart about stopped. I jumped up to check on her and make sure she was still breathing, but she thankfully she was just fine.

We also got a check up call from the lactation consultant at the hospital. I mentioned her sleeping through the night, but she wasn’t too concerned. Breastfeeding seems to be going pretty well. She has some issues with staying latched, but once she gets on she eats really well.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s