We made these for our son’s 7th and nephew’s 3rd birthday.
I have to give credit to my sister, over at Eternity Shaina, for coming up with the recipe for the cake.
I whipped up the icing in about five minutes, right before assembling them!
Chocolate Vegan Gluten Free Whoopie Pies
- 1 cup hemp milk (Or other nondairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (we used Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Flour, but you can substitute your favorite gluten free mix)
- 1/2 cup organic, raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk and vinegar, and set aside. (It will curdle a little; it’s supposed to do that.) In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, arrowroot, and salt. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars on low speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes. Add half of the flour mixture and half of the almond milk mixture to the batter and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Add the remaining flour mixture and almond milk mixture and beat until thoroughly combined. Drop about 1 tablespoon of batter onto a lightly greased baking sheet, spacing them about 3 inches apart. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes before placing them onto a rack to cool completely.
- 1 cup of softened Earth Balance vegan butter
- 3/4 cup of coconut powdered sugar
- 1 tblsp hemp milk
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
Whip butter and sugar together, add milk and cacao powder and whip in electric mixer until fluffy.