In my first post about OAMM (Five Tips for Beginners) I mentioned that some recipes are worth your time and others aren’t. Depending on how much you are spending on ingredients, a recipe may not be worth making for your family. In a previous post is a list of all the recipes we tried during Take One with a link to the instructions and a link to their price breakdowns, but below we will breakdown the price for our Freezer Burritos!
Now, the prices I’m listing beside each ingredient is for the DOUBLED amount so that in the end I can calculate the correct price for each serving. If I had to purchase a new ingredient, I calculated the entire price for that ingredient into the recipe breakdown because I was spending that money specifically for these burritos. So, if you have any of these ingredients on hand already then your burritos will be even cheaper!
- rice (brown or white) $3.84
- 0.5 lb of ground beef $3.44 (I got the amount per pound based on the package and calculated the price used here)
- olive oil $1.91
- 2 medium onions $2.86
- garlic clovesd $0.56
- small can of slice black olives $0.80
- jalapeno chile $0.96
- ground cumin (already had)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper (already had)
- tomato paste $1.34
- frozen corn kernels (10 ounces) $1.98
- tortillas $7.20
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese $5.00
- Salsa and sour cream, optional $4.66 for salsa, already had sour cream
- 1 can of refried beans $2.25
- 2 cans of beans (your choice, we used black beans, rinsed and drained). $1.84
Total Spent= $38.64
Price per Serving= $1.43!
That’s $1.43 for each burrito, which is much cheaper than you’d spend on one of these bad boys at restaurant or even from a food truck!